We collect information in three ways.
Information we collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We destroy your data as soon as it's not longer needed for the purposes you agreed to when you provided it. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources.
First, when you provide it to us.
Information you provide
The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Registration information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account - for example, your name, email address, phone number and profile picture.
- Transaction and billing information: If you buy something from us, you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information. We process this data, but it is stored with a compliant 3rd party.
- User generated content: In connection with using the Services, you may generate content that provides us with additional information about you.
- Credentials: In connection with using the Services, you may provide us with credentials for your website or your account on a third-party service (like SSH, FTP, and SFTP username and password, API key or OAuth credential).
- Communications with us: You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys or communicate with us about a support question.
Second, when you use our services.
Information we collect automatically
We also collect some information automatically.
- Log information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services.
- Usage information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., [username] deleted “[content]” at [time/date]). We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services along with information about your device (e.g., mobile screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps (when, for example, you post a photograph with location information) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions.
Third, when a third party provides it.
Information from other sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you connect your account to a third-party service provider, we may receive information from that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available. We may also get information from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users, which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes.
We use the information to serve you.
How we use information
We use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
- To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, backup and restore your content, charge you for any of our paid Services, and provide you support for the Services.
- To further develop our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or find useful.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use.
- To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of us and others.
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by us and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on us and our products.
We keep your information safe.
How we protect information
We don't sell your information.
How we share information
We do not sell your, or your end user’s private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers).
- As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights and Property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect our property or rights, those of third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated and De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
As a global services we may need to transfer data to other countries.
This is a worldwide service. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
You can delete your information anytime.
Your data protection rights
Our customers may benefit from a number of rights in relation to their information that we process. Some rights apply only in certain limited cases, depending on your location. If you would like to manage, change, limit, or delete your personal information, you can do so via your Account settings or by contacting us. To delete your Account and all personal data, please email your request to email@example.com. Upon request, we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. By visiting your Account settings, you can access, correct, change, and delete certain personal information associated with your account. In certain cases where we process your information, you may also have a right to restrict or limit the ways in which we use your personal information. In certain circumstances, you also have the right to request the deletion of your personal information, and to obtain a copy of your personal information in an easily accessible format.
If we process your information based on our legitimate interests as explained above, or in the public interest, you can object to this processing in certain circumstances. In such cases, we will cease processing your information unless we have compelling legitimate grounds to continue processing or where it is needed for legal reasons.
You must protect your end user's information.
Your obligations to respect end user’s rights
If we are found to be joint data controllers of personal information with you, and if we are sued, fined, or otherwise incur expenses because of something that you did as a joint data controller of users’ personal information, you agree to indemnify us for the expenses we occur in connection with your processing of users’ personal information.
We'll ask your end users' to talk to you about any privacy concerns.
Check third party services' privacy policies before you use them.
If you share information publicly, others will be able to access it.
Information shared publicly
Information that you choose to make public can be disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like any content that you make public on your website is all available to others. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
You can opt out of communications anytime.
Opting out of communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
You can opt out of cookies too.
Opting out of cookies
Although some cookies can be blocked with little impact on your experience of a website, blocking all cookies may mean you are unable to access certain features and content across the sites you visit.
We comply with European privacy laws.
Legal basis for processing personal information
This section applies only to European Economic Area visitors. We will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you. If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information). Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third-party), we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
We comply with California privacy laws.
California privacy rights
This section applies only to California consumers. It describes how we collect, use, and share California consumers' Personal Information in our role as a business, and the rights applicable to such residents. The California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") requires businesses to disclose whether they sell Personal Data. We do not sell Personal Data. We may share Personal Data with third parties if those third parties are authorized service providers or business partners who have agreed to our contractual limitations as to their retention, use, and disclosure of such Personal Data.
We have collected the following statutory categories of Personal Information in the past twelve (12) months:
- Identifiers, such as name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number. We collect this information directly from you or from third party sources.
- Internet or network information, such as browsing and search history. We collect this information directly from your device.
- Geolocation data, such as IP address. We collect this information from your device.
- Financial information, such as Payment Information or financial account numbers in the process of providing you with a subscription. We collect this information from you.
- Other personal information, in instances when you interact with us online, by phone or mail in the context of receiving help through our help desks or other support channels, participation in customer surveys or contests or in providing the Service.
Your California rights:
You have certain rights regarding the Personal Information we collect or maintain about you. Please note these rights are not absolute, and there may be cases when we decline your request as permitted by law.
- The right of access means that you have the right to request that we disclose what Personal Information we have collected, used and disclosed about you in the past 12 months.
- The right of deletion means that you have the right to request that we delete Personal Information collected or maintained by us, subject to certain exceptions.
- The right to non-discrimination means that you will not receive any discriminatory treatment when you exercise one of your privacy rights.
How to exercise your California rights:
You can exercise your rights yourself or you can alternatively designate an authorized agent to exercise these rights on your behalf. Please note that to protect your Personal Information, we will verify your identity by a method appropriate to the type of request you are making. We may also request that your authorized agent have written permission from you to make requests on your behalf, and we may also need to verify your authorized agent's identity to protect your Personal Information. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like to:
- Access this policy in an alternative format
- Exercise your rights
- Learn more about your rights or our privacy practices
- Designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf
We'll tell you if we change this policy.